Every driver finds him or herself in a frustrating situation on the road. Whether another motor vehicle is blocking an intersection, not practicing proper merging etiquette, or driving slower than the speed limit when you are in a hurry, it is easy to become angry at other drivers on the road. However, it is extremely important to not take your anger or frustration out on other drivers while you are in your car, as aggressive driving is one of the leading causes of car accidents and resulting injuries. If you or a loved one is injured in an accident with an aggressive driver, make sure you contact an experienced car accident attorney in Sharpsburg to hold that aggressive driver responsible.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has identified signs of aggressive driving. You may be an aggressive driver if you:
- Follow too closely or tailgate other drivers who you wish were driving faster
- Frequently change lanes or weave through traffic to avoid slower drivers
- Excessive speeding due to not allowing enough travel time
- Multitask in the car by eating, reading, texting, emailing, or talking on a cell phone while driving
- Take frustration out on other drivers by yelling, gesturing, or not allowing them to change lanes, turn, or merge
- Run yellow or red lights, or fail to completely stop and take you turn at stop signs
If you are guilty of any of these practices, you are likely posing a serious risk of a car accident to yourself and other drivers on the road. You should sincerely try to relax, leave enough travel time, accept that other drivers may not always do what they are supposed to do, and avoid multitasking in the car.
Moreover, if you encounter an aggressive driver, you should try to avoid them at all costs. You should put your pride aside and move out of their way, let them go first, do not challenge them in any way, avoid eye contact, and do not under any circumstances make rude gestures toward them. If an aggressive driver is driving dangerously and you fear they may cause a car accident, have a passenger report their license plate number to the police.
In the instance that you are in an accident with an aggressive driver, the Law Offices of Shane Smith have an experienced Sharpsburg car accident attorney who can help hold the driver liable and get you reimbursed for your injuries. Do not hesitate to call today at (770) 487-8999 for a free consultation.