Being involved in an accident with a large commercial truck can be a terrifying experience. Many victims are injured and shell-shocked and do not know what to do. They do not think ahead to a possible court case, but instead worry about what is happening at that moment only. Unfortunately, if you were not at fault in the accident and want to recover in court in the future, there are certain thing you should do in order to maximize your chances for receiving a fair settlement. The following is a short checklist for truck accident victims offered by Fayette County truck accident lawyer Shane Smith to increase your chances of recovery.
- Call 911. If anyone is injured, make sure 911 operators dispatch an ambulance to the scene of the accident.
- If the accident occurred in the middle of the road, get out of the road as soon as possible to avoid the risk of any further injury by other passing vehicles.
- Speak to the emergency medical team and write down everything they said about your injuries and the injuries of others.
- Make notes of all the details of the accident, including road conditions, road hazards, debris, weather conditions, etc.
- Take note of the state of the truck driver—does he seem intoxicated? Tired? Does he have a commercial driver’s license?
- Get the names and contact information for all other drivers, passengers, or potential witnesses at the scene.
- Speak to the police and tell them your version of events in as much detail as possible.
- Take pictures of the damage to your car and any damage to other vehicles involved.
- Seek medical attention and keep track of all of your doctors’ appointments, medical records, bills, and other expenses.
- Obtain a copy of the police report and make sure your version of events is correct.
Finally, you should always contact an experienced truck accident attorney at the Law Offices of Shane Smith to pursue a potential case against the responsible truck driver or other party. Call our office today at (770) 487-8999.