Coweta County Auto Accident Attorney Shane Smith Highlights Recent Traffic Statistics
Based on recent research and analysis from the Georgia Governor’s Office of Highway Safety, the roads in Georgia and specifically Coweta County are not very safe. While the vast majority of drivers on the road in Georgia uphold their duty of care to other drivers seriously and not injure innocent victims, not every single person upholds their duty of care. When careless drivers breach their duty of care, severe injuries and even death can result.
Based on this office’s statistics, drivers faced many dangers in 2008 which includes:
- There were nearly 1,500 deaths
- Over 115,000 injuries
- More than 306,000 car crashes
Looking at Coweta County alone, this office found the following statistics:
- Over 25,000 motor vehicle accidents
- More than 8,600 injuries
- More than 50 deaths
Not surprising, Coweta County along with other State Capital Metropolitan counties experienced the greatest number of car crashes, injuries and deaths compared to rural counties. However, it is still unacceptable and the number must be lower.
Looking at the time of day, the Georgia Governor’s Office of Highway Safety determined:
- Fridays, between 11 am and 3:59 pm, have the greatest number of auto accidents
- The fewest number of crashes occur on Mondays between 5 am and 10:59 am
Understanding how crashes occurred during 2008 is essential to know how to prevent them. Further statistics provided by this office includes the top ten ways auto accidents were caused, with the number of crashes per incident.
- Operators following too close – 102,918 incidents
- Did not yield to oncoming traffic – 50,094 incidents
- Undetermined – 27,676 incidents
- Improper Lane Change – 20,857 incidents
- Operator lost control of their vehicle – 20,770 incidents
- Driver hit an inanimate object or animal – 16,920 incidents
- Backing up – 10,164 incidents
- Failing to follow traffic signal or sign – 9,362
- Driving under the influence – 9,073
- Turning – 7,630
These statistics show that Georgia’s roads are far from safe. Countless innocent victims are hurt and killed every year due to operators that breach their duty of care. If you or a family member have been injured due to a negligent or reckless driver you may be entitled to a personal injury claim. After speaking with a Coweta County auto accident lawyer you will understand what damages you may be entitled to in a lawsuit. Call the Law Offices of Shane Smith to schedule a free legal consultation with a Coweta County auto accident lawyer at (770) 487-8999.