Distracted driving accidents killed 3,328 people in 2012 according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Data show that drivers under age 20 are among the highest risk group.
Consulting a Clayton County attorney after an auto accident involving a distracted driver enhances a victim's ability to receive a reasonable settlement. If you have been injured in an automobile accident involving a distracted driver in Clayton County you should discuss your case with an auto accident attorney at the Law Offices of Shane Smith.
According to various studies and surveys and federal accident data, distracted driving is a serious problem that is getting worse. Some of the findings include:
- 3,331 people were killed in auto accidents involving a distracted driver in 2011, compared to 3,267 in 2010. Another 387,000 people were injured in auto accidents involving a distracted driver, compared to 416,000 injured in 2010.
- Among those killed or injured in these auto accidents, nearly 1,000 deaths and 24,000 injuries were attributed to distracted driving involving a cell phone.
- 61 percent of adults say they have talked on their cell phones while driving. That is considerably greater than the number of 16- and 17-year-old drivers who have talked on their cell phones while driving (43 percent).
- 40 percent of American teenagers say they have been in a car when the driver used a cell phone in a way that put people (passengers or other drivers) in danger.
- Texting creates a crash risk 23 times worse than driving while not distracted.
- Sending or receiving a text takes a driver's eyes from the road for an average of 4.6 seconds, the equivalent of driving blindly for the length of an entire football field when traveling at 55 mph.
- Hands-free cell phone use is not substantially safer than handheld use.
- Driving while using a cell phone reduces the amount of brain activity dedicated to driving by 37 percent.
If you or someone you know has been hurt by a distracted driver, meet with a Clayton County auto accident lawyer at the Law Offices of Shane Smith.