The statistics involving victims of drunk driving accidents are tragic. For example, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that in 2011, 9,878 people died in a crash caused by a drunk driver and hundreds of thousands more suffered serious, expensive, and sometimes life-changing injuries. What is most tragic is that almost all of the accidents and resulting injuries and deaths could likely have been avoided had the driver decided not to get behind the wheel while under the influence of alcohol. If you have suffered injuries because someone decided to drive drunk, you are entitled to compensation for your injuries and related hardships. Call a DUI accident attorney in East Newnan to help you receive the maximum settlement possible.
According to Mothers Against Drunk Drivers (MADD), on average one in three Americans will be involved in at least one drunk-driving accident at some point in their lives. The statistics can be shocking, such as:
- A person is injured by a drunk driver every 90 seconds.
- A person dies from a drunk driving accident once every 53 minutes.
- Adults drive while under the influence of alcohol approximately 112 million times per year, which is over 300,000 drunk drivers on the road every single day.
- 62% of children killed in DUI accidents were riding in the car with the drunk driver.
- Law enforcement officers arrested 1.4 million people in 2010 for DUI.
- One-half to three-fourths of adults convicted of drunk driving continue to drive with a suspended license.
- Approximately one-third of people arrested for driving under the influence are repeat offenders.
- Drunk driving and related accidents cost the United States an estimated $132 billion per year.
If these statistics surprise you, consider the fact that all the lives and money could be saved if Americans simply followed the law and avoided drunk driving at all costs. There is no excuse for people to drive while under the influence and put others on the road in danger. Therefore, if you have been in a DUI accident, call the Law Offices of Shane Smith at 770-487-8999 today. An experienced Fayette County DUI accident lawyer can help hold the drunk driver responsible.