Distracted driving accidents killed 3,092 people in 2010 according to the U.S. Department of Transportation. Additionally, it is estimated that 18 percent of auto accidents that year involved distracted drivers.
Consulting a Clayton County attorney after an auto accident involving a distracted driver enhances a victim's ability to receive a reasonable settlement. If you have been injured in an automobile accident involving a distracted driver in Clayton County you should discuss your case with an auto accident attorney at the Law Offices of Shane Smith.
The National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has offered tips to a variety of interested parties who may be touched by distracted driving dilemmas.
States and communities can:
- Enforce strong laws banning texting and hand held cell phone devices to help drivers understand how serious of a safety matter it is.
- Conduct high reach enforcement campaigns of existing distracted driving laws using the NHTSA's Phone In One Hand, Ticket In The Other model.
- Publish the results of enforcement campaigns.
- Work with advocacy groups, youth groups, schools, traffic safety agencies, and other health agencies to continue the discussion of the danger of distracted driving.
- Use media resources to promote the topic and enforcement.
- Adopt, publicize, and enforce company policies that prohibit employees from texting or talking on hand-held cell phones while in a company vehicle or in a personal vehicle while using a company issued cell phone.
- Turn off electronic devices and store them out of reach before driving.
- If riding in the car with someone using an electronic device while driving offer to make the call so their full attention can be on driving or ask them to wait until you are parked.
- Be good role models for young drivers.
- Be open with your teen about responsible driving.
- Make sure your community and State laws include electronic device bans in graduated driver licensing laws for young drivers, and make them a part of your teen's driving responsibilities.
If you or someone you know has been hurt by a distracted driver, meet with a Clayton County auto accident lawyer at the Law Offices of Shane Smith.