Gwinnett County DUI Accident Attorney Shane Smith Details Drunk Driving Statistics
According to Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) innocent drivers face a long list of dangers when driving on Georgia’s roads. Here are some highlights:
- In 2010, more than 1.41 million drivers were charged with driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- 2010 saw the most (34 %) drunk driving accidents caused by 21 to 24 year olds and the 25 to 34 age group causing the second most (30%) and the 35 to 44 age group causing one quarter of all accidents.
- Approximately 300,000 drunk driving cases occurred in 2010 or nearly 112 million for the entire year.
- One half to three-quarters drunk driving convicts drive despite a license suspension
Based on these statistics from MADD, innocent drivers are put at great risks, many, if not all are avoidable. However, some people still chose to drink and drive and cause innocent drivers and pedestrians extensive injuries or even kill them.
How can Drunken Driving Accidents and Injuries & Fatalities be Reduced?
Every one of us can make a difference and reduce the number of impaired drivers on the roads. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have great, common-sense recommendations to apply:
- When you go out, decide on which person will not drink alcohol during your night out.
- If you have any suspicion of a friend or family member under the influence of alcohol, be nice, but firm, and take their keys away.
- If you have been drinking or the designated driver has been drinking and can’t drive, get a sober family or friend to pick you up or call up a cab.
- When hosting a social gathering at your own home or apartment, don’t serve alcohol – only non-alcoholic drinks.
IF you have been injured or have had a family member killed due to an intoxicated driver, you may be able to file a personal injury claim against the responsible parties. After receiving emergency medical treatment, you need to speak with a Gwinnett DUI accident lawyer to see what your legal rights are. When you call the Law Offices of Shane Smith at (770) 487-8999 you can speak with a Gwinnett County DUI accident lawyer. Schedule your free legal consultation with a Georgia DUI accident lawyer.