Auto accidents can cause serious injury to both drivers and passengers. However, perhaps one of the most dangerous situations is when a motor vehicle hits a pedestrian. The average sedan in America weighs around 3,000 pounds, and vans or sport utility vehicles weigh an average of 5,000 pounds. Considering that a pedestrian generally has zero protection from cars, resulting injuries from accidents can be severe, sometimes causing extensive recovery time, permanent disability, or even death. If you or a family member was a pedestrian who was hit by a car and suffered injury, contact a Corinth pedestrian accident lawyer today to help you recover for your injuries.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 4,432 pedestrians died as a result of auto accidents in 2011 alone and an additional 69,000 pedestrians were injured. Both of these numbers have increased in recent years, causing agencies and law enforcement to try to educate pedestrians on safety walking practices. Some safety tips include:
- Follow all road signs and traffic signals
- Do not make any unexpected or sudden movements in the street
- If no sidewalk is available, always walk facing oncoming traffic
- Cross at crosswalks or intersections with walk signals whenever possible
- Do not distract yourself by texting or otherwise using a cell phone while walking near traffic
- Wear highly visible clothing, including bright colors during the day and reflective clothing at night
- Never assume that a driver sees you. Instead, make eye contact before you cross in front or behind their car.
- Especially keep an eye out for cars that are entering or exiting parking lots or driveways, or reversing out of parking spots.
- Avoid using any alcohol or drugs if you know you will be walking along the street.
Following the above safety tips will likely help decrease the chances of a pedestrian accident, however no matter how careful pedestrians may be, accidents will still happen. If you are in an accident, seek medical attention immediately and then call 770-487-8999 to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Gwinnett county auto accident attorney at the Law Offices of Shane Smith. We can help you get reimbursed for your injuries by the driver who hit you.