According to data reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), nearly 70,000 people suffered injury in accidents while they were pedestrians last year. The large majority of those accidents were caused by negligent drivers practicing behaviors such as speeding, distracted driving, failing to obey traffic signals, or failure to yield to pedestrians who have the right of way in crosswalks. However, there are other ways that pedestrians suffer injuries besides being hit by a car. No matter what the cause of your pedestrian accident was, if you have been injured you should always contact a dedicated pedestrian accident attorney in Fayette County to find out if you have a possible case.
Some less prevalent causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Construction work—If construction dangers are not properly marked or if workers have not taken proper precautions, pedestrians who pass by construction sites may be injured by different hazards on the construction site.
- Falling objects—Objects falling from windows or awnings onto the sidewalk may easily hit pedestrians and cause serious injuries.
- Manhole covers—A surprising amount of accidents happen each year due to manhole covers that are opened or damaged and without proper warnings. Utility companies have a duty to properly repair, close, or warn of manhole cover hazards.
- Sidewalk or curb damage—Either the city or business owner who owns a particular length of sidewalk has the duty to keep that stretch of sidewalk free from dangerous conditions that may cause trips, slips, or falls, such as cracks, uneven ground, or debris.
- Distracted walking—We all have heard of distracted driving, however using a cell phone to text or browse the Internet while walking can be dangerous, as well. You may not see hazards in front of you and may fall or suffer other injuries.
No matter what caused your pedestrian accident, if someone else was negligent, they should have to compensate you for any injuries you sustained. Do not hesitate to contact an experienced personal injury attorney at the Law Offices of Shane Smith for help today. Call (770) 487-8999 to schedule a free consultation.