The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that approximately 70,000 people in the United States suffered injury in pedestrian accidents last year. Though most of these accidents involved a collision with a motor vehicle, other pedestrians were injured by slips, falls, or other hazardous conditions while walking. No matter what causes your pedestrian accident, an experienced pedestrian accident attorney can help you recover for any accident-related losses.
Some lesser expected causes behind pedestrian accidents include the following:
- Poor conditions on the sidewalk or curb—If a city or property owner fails to properly maintain a strip of sidewalk or curb, pedestrians may slip, trip, or fall as a result of any dangerous conditions, and those owners may be held liable for their negligent maintenance.
- Falling objects—If an object falls from a window, roof, or awning, it may land on top of a pedestrian who is walking underneath. This can cause serious injury, especially if the object is heavy or large.
- Construction accidents—At times, construction crews may fail to properly mark off construction zones or may not take all the necessary precautions to keep pedestrians safe. As a result, pedestrians may be injured by construction vehicles, unstable ground or materials, power tools, or more.
- Open manhole covers—Pedestrians fall into open manhole covers several times a year, more often than you may think. If utility companies leave manhole covers open, off-kilter, or damaged without any warnings, they should be held liable for any resulting pedestrian injuries.
- Distracted walking—People all too often use a handheld mobile device to text, message, or browse the internet while they walk down the street. Such distracted pedestrians may injure themselves or others in the process.
Contact a Coweta County pedestrian accident lawyer for a free consultation
Whether your pedestrian accident was caused by a driver, a damaged sidewalk, or another distracted pedestrian, you deserve to receive compensation from any responsible party. An experienced pedestrian accident lawyer at the Law Offices of Shane Smith can help you receive the recovery you deserve. Do not hesitate to call (770) 487-8999 to schedule a free consultation today.