Do you know what to do following a Georgia car crash? Many people think they know what to do or that they will figure it out when the time comes, but it is a wise idea to review the answers to the following questions so that you know how to respond following a Peachtree City car accident.
- Should you call your insurance company to report your collision? Yes. You should report your accident to your own insurance company. Every policy is different, but some require notifying them within 30 days following the wreck. Make sure you read the specifics in your policy, and report your claim accordingly. You have a duty to the insurance company to report claims so that the insurer can investigate your claim. If you fail to comply with the terms of the insurance policy, coverage may be denied.
- Should you go to the emergency room? Yes. It is best for your health and best for your future personal injury claim that you seek medical care promptly after a crash. Even if you are sore or stiff in any way, it is best to have a doctor check you over.
- Should you provide your insurer with a recorded statement? No. Many insurance companies will attempt to get a recorded statement from you as soon as possible. It is best to tell your insurance company that you are not comfortable with their request and that you will speak with your attorney first. Even though it is your insurance company, they will attempt to get you to say something that will downplay your injury and lessen their liability.
- How can you prove that the other driver hit you or that it was his or her fault? Request a copy of the accident report. Typically, a police report may indicate who was at fault in the accident. You can use this proof, witnesses’ statements, video surveillance, or hire experts to conduct an investigation and recreate the crash.
- What should you expect to recover for your injuries? It will depend on the seriousness of your injuries. If you require time off work or if you suffered disfigurement or disability, your recovery will be based off of your injuries, lost income, loss of services, and enjoyment of life.
For help making sure you are doing everything right following a serious Peachtree City auto accident, call the Law Offices of Shane Smith to speak with an experienced Georgia accident attorney in a complimentary consultation today at (770) 487-8999.