Drunken driving accidents are often catastrophic in nature, all to frequently resulting in fatal injuries; however, not all Georgia drunk driving accidents end in fatalities. Many Georgia drunken driving victims suffer serious injuries that change their lives forever. When victims survive a crash, they may be faced with months and years of suffering depending on the injuries sustained.
Some of the injury types that cause many DUI victims in Roswell, Norcross, Peachtree City, and throughout Georgia to suffer long after the crash include:
- Disabling injuries – Some DUI victims may have lost a limb or suffered disfigurement in the crash, which may require them to learn how to walk, move, and take care of themselves again.
- Coma – Some victims are left lingering in comas and fighting for their lives. While some awaken hours or days later, others may spend weeks or months in comas with their families hoping that they eventually awake. When these victims do wake up, they may have to learn how to talk, eat, and function all over again.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) – When victims of drunken driving crashes suffer a TBI, they may never be able to walk, talk, eat, or function like they did prior to the accident. Sadly, they will be faced with challenges.
DUI victims in Georgia who find themselves still suffering days, weeks, months, and years after a crash often deal with the following:
- Emotional pain
- Physical pain and suffering
- Financial costs of the crash
While the financial costs pale in comparison to the pain and suffering and emotional turmoil victims suffer, drunken driving victims need to seek a financial recovery to ensure they get the proper medical treatment and care that they need for their physical and emotional injuries.
DUI offenders need to be held accountable for their reckless actions. When a person chooses to get behind the wheel of a car after drinking, that person is choosing to gamble with your life. If you have been injured, or if your loved one is recovering from a drunken driving crash, please call the Law Offices of Shane Smith to ensure your family gets the compensation that you deserve.
Georgia DUI victim attorney Shane Smith will work hard to protect your rights and get you the financial recovery you deserve while you focus on your physical recovery. Call us today at (770) 487-8999 for a free legal consultation and a free copy of our book I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver: What Do I Do Next?