Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: (888) 742-6352
Phone: (770) 487-8999 x32
Law Offices of Shane Smith

Contact Us

Get help now! Please fill out the quick contact form below for a fast and free case consultation. We will contact you within 24 hours!

Who May be Sued for Wrongful Death?

A wrongful death action allows loved ones of a deceased person to bring a lawsuit against the part who was responsible for the victim's death.  By nature, a wrongful death is usually unexpected, and thus family members can experience sudden adverse consequences, such as financial expenses, extreme grief, and a need for closure.  While a wrongful death lawsuit can never bring back the deceased loved one, it can help some of the other problems arising from their death.  If you have lost a loved one due to an unexpected event, you should talk to an experienced Coweta County wrongful death attorney at the Law Offices of Shane Smith to see if you can receive financial compensation for your loss.


When a person is killed, sometimes it is very clear who should be sued as the responsible party.  For example, in the case of a violent crime, the family generally sues the person who the police found responsible for the crime.  Even if that person is not found guilty in a criminal trial, he or she still may be held liable in a civil wrongful death action due to a lower burden of proof in civil court.


In accidents, sometimes the list of who may be sued is much longer.  For instance, in a car accident caused by a faulty roadway, you may be able to sue the builder or designer of the faulty road, the government for not properly warning drivers of a possible road hazard, or the driver of the car if he failed to properly account for the hazard by slowing down, for instance.  In an auto accident with a drunk driver, you could potentially sue the driver as well as whoever provided him with the alcohol, or the owner of the establishment where the alcohol was served.


As you can tell, wrongful death lawsuits can get complicated with potentially numerous parties involved.  In order to receive the maximum settlement possible, it is important to consult with a wrongful death attorney who has experience with this type of claim and knows the process for filing suit against multiple parties.  Call (770) 487-8999 to speak with an experienced attorney at the Law Offices of Shane Smith today.


Shane Smith
Advocate for the Seriously Injured in Georgia