With winter in full swing, commercial truck drivers need to make certain that they are fully prepared for all types of winter weather. Especially since truck drivers travel through many different states with many different climates and the weather can change with only a moment’s notice. Therefore, truck drivers must know how to handle snow, ice, sleet, and other types of winter weather. If truck drivers do not take the proper precautions, they can cause serious accidents and injuries to other motorists on the road. If you have been in an accident with a truck during winter weather, a dedicated Fayette County trucking accident lawyer can help you recover for your injuries and other damage you suffered.
The following are some top tips for truck drivers to drive safely in winter weather:
- Slow down. Posted speed limits, especially on interstate highways, may not be appropriate in winter weather.
- Do not tailgate. Braking may cause slipping and sliding and, if you are too close to the car in front of you, you may not be able to stop in time.
- Check your tires. Tire pressure often Make sure you have ample tread, and that the tires with the most tread are in the rear of the truck. Use snow chains if necessary.
- Do not make sudden movements. Slamming on brakes, abruptly jerking the wheel, or accelerating too quickly can all lead to loss of control of the truck.
- Always use your lights, even during daylight hours. Snow and ice tend to limit visibility and headlights and taillights will help other motorists to see your truck and trailer.
- Check your air conditioning. It may seem strange to check the AC in winter, but as you use your defrost function, the AC unit will avoid window fogging by drying out the interior of the truck.
If you are involved in an accident with a large commercial truck in winter weather, it is important to determine whether the responsible truck driver had taken all necessary steps to drive safely in winter weather. An experienced truck accident attorney can help you do just that. Call (770) 487-8999 to set up an appointment with the Law Offices of Shane Smith today.