When we walk, most of us don’t think about our feet—we just assume they’ll carry us around. Similarly, we don’t often think about the surfaces we walk on; generally, we assume the floors, sidewalks, stairs, and other surfaces we walk on will be safe.
Although we should do our due diligence and walk with care every step of the way in order to stay safe, there are some dangers that we may not see or that remain hidden that may trip us up along the way, including:
- Slippery surfaces
- Wet floors
- Spilled liquid
- Broken stairs
- Loose floorboards
- Uneven ground or cracked sidewalks
- Torn carpeting
- Inadequate lighting
- Fallen objects
When one of the above hazards presents itself to us unknowingly, it may cause us to slip and fall and suffer injuries. Slip and fall accidents in Atlanta can occur both on private and public properties including private homes, apartment complexes, office buildings, supermarkets, restaurants, stores, and just about everywhere we walk. Slip and fall accidents are also known as premises liability cases.
What Is Premises Liability?
While some falls are purely accidental, others are caused by someone’s failure to secure the property, repair a hazard, or adequately warn others about the dangerous condition. When a property owner or possessor of the property knows about a hazardous condition—or should have known about the danger—and fails to act appropriately to make sure no one gets injured, the owner could be liable for the injuries or fatalities that result.
In fact, Georgia law requires property owners to keep their buildings and surrounding land safe. This means that property owners have a duty to maintain their property so that those who visit, live, or work there can be on the property without being at risk of harm. Essentially, if unsafe conditions exist that leads to an individual slipping and falling, the owner may be held financially responsible for injuries that occur on the premises. However, establishing fault can be complicated in slip and fall cases, which is why a Georgia premises liability lawyer should be contacted as soon as possible.
Dedication From an Atlanta Premises Liability Lawyer
If you or a loved one was injured in a slip and fall accident in the Metro Atlanta area—including Fulton, Cobb, Gwinnett, Douglas, Fayette, Coweta and DeKalb counties—the Law Offices of Shane Smith can help you file a claim so you can recover adequate compensation for your injuries. It is important to your case that you do not wait too long to contact a lawyer, as evidence needs to be preserved. Additionally, you need to seek medical care immediately, report the accident, get witnesses’ contact information, and take pictures of the accident scene if you are physically able to do so.
The Law Offices of Shane Smith handles all types of premises liability cases, including slip and fall accidents, dog bites, animal attacks, swimming pool accidents and drownings, toxic fume cases, and more. To find out if you have a case or to learn more about your rights, talk to an experienced and dedicated Atlanta premises liability attorney at the Law Offices of Shane Smith. Call us at 770-HURT-999 today to schedule a complimentary, confidential consultation.
Library for Premises Liability:
- Injury Lawsuits against Cruise Ships Have One Year Statute of Limitations
Description: Cruise lines responsible for injuries on their property. Cruise ship accident victims can use the expertise of premises liability attorney Shane Smith.
- Tyrone Grocery Store Slip and Falls can Cause Serious Injuries
Description: Slip and fall accidents that occur in grocery stores can result in serious injuries. Call premises liability attorney Shane Smith today.
- Common Causes of Falling Accidents
Description: Fall accidents can serious and often tragic. If you or your child has suffered in a fall, Georgia PI attorney Shane Smith can help you.
- Slip and Fall Accidents can Often Occur in Restaurants
Description: With heavy foot traffic and ample opportunity for spills, slip and fall accidents happen in Peachtree City on a regular basis.
- Can Passengers recover in Car Accidents?
Description: Atlanta auto accident attorney Shane Smith explains how passengers recover when they are injured in someone else’s vehicle.
- School-Sponsored Sports can Cause Serious Injuries
Description: As school starts back up this fall, students who participate in sports may sustain injury. Call PI attorney Shane Smith for a consultation.
- Grantville Sports Injury Accidents may be Actionable
Description: Sports injuries can leave victims with significant medical problems. Call PI attorney Shane Smith today to determine whether you have a claim.
- Corinth Slip and Fall Accidents can be Serious
Description: Property owners have a responsibility to maintain a safe premises. Slip and fall victims should contact PI attorney Shane Smith immediately.
- Serious Accidents in Fitness Centers
Description: When a fitness center owner is negligent and causes injury, Coweta County personal injury lawyer Shane Smith helps victims recover.
- What Kinds of Evidence can be used in a Slip and Fall Case?
Description: Slip and fall cases can be highly contested and often require the introduction of evidence. PI attorney Shane Smith is dedicated to helping victims recover.
- Residential Pool Accidents can Cause Serious Injuries
Description: Residential pool accidents can leave victims with serious injuries. Call PI attorney Shane Smith today for a free consultation.
- Residential Complex Accidents
Description: Residential complexes often have common areas that may have injury-causing hazards. Call PI attorney Shane Smith today for a free consultation.
- Improperly Stored Pool Chemicals can Cause Injury
Description: Negligently stored pool chemicals can cause serious injuries that may lead to long-term complications. Call PI attorney Shane Smith today for a free consultation.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries can occur after Slip and Fall Accidents
Description: Personal injury lawyer Shane Smith works tirelessly to help slip and fall victims recover. Call our office today for a free consultation.
- Poor Weather and The Standard of Care in Negligence Cases
Description: Victims of accidents in which poor weather conditions played a role may still be able to recover. Call PI attorney Shane Smith for a consultation.
- Hazardous Conditions on Playgrounds can Cause Injuries
Description: Playground injuries can cause serious medical complications. Call PI attorney Shane Smith today for a free consultation.
- Environmental Exposure can Cause Serious Injuries
Description: Exposure to harmful chemicals and materials can result in serious injuries and illnesses. Call PI attorney Shane Smith today for a free consultation.
- Elevator and Escalator Accidents are Capable of Causing Serious Injuries
Description: Individuals can be serious injured in the event of an elevator or escalator accident. Call PI attorney Shane Smith today for a free consultation.
- Can I Recover after a Slip and Fall in a Grocery Store?
Description: Personal injury attorney Shane Smith is dedicated to helping people injured in slip and falls recover for their losses. Call today for a free consultation.
- How to Show Liability in a Slip and Fall case
Description: Experienced Coweta County attorney Shane Smith knows how to help slip and fall victims show negligence and receive proper compensation.
Blog for Premises Liability
- Cruise Ship Claims have a One Year Statute of Limitations
Description: Cruise lines can be held responsible for accidents on their property. Cruise ship accident victims can use the expertise of premise liability lawyer Shane Smith
- Negligence in Premises Liabilities Alleging Lack of Security
Description: Proof of negligence allows criminal assault victim to sue property owner if inadequate security provided. Call premises liability attorney Shane Smith.
- Slip-and-Fall vs.Trip-and-Fall Accidents
Description: Difference between slip-and-fall and trip-and-fall accidents is the nature of the hazard. Call an experienced premises liability attorney Shane Smith.
- Georgia Workplace Accidents
Description: Workplace Accident: Average 13 people injured daily. Victims can use the expertise of Peachtree City, Georgia premises liability attorney Shane Smith.
- Negligence and Carelessness in Premises Liability Case
Description: Georgia Retailers are required to maintain safe premises for patrons. Victims can use the expertise of premises liability attorney Shane Smith.
- Deck Collapses Killing One and Critically Injuring a Second
Description: Investigation in the cause of deck collapse that kills one construction worker; critically injures another. Clayton County injury lawyer Shane Smith for help
- Verdict against Kroger in Gwinnett County Slip-and-Fall Case
Description: Retailers are required to maintain safe premises for patrons. Victims can use the expertise of premises liability attorney Shane Smith
- Shoe Display Rack Impales Girl's Eye in Mall Store
Description: A girl was seriously injured when a shoe display rack impaled her eye. Victims can use the expertise of premises liability attorney Shane Smith
- Viral Video Shows Pedestrians Slipping on Icy Sidewalk
Description: Viral video shows people slipping on icy sidewalk despite hazard cones marking danger. Victims can use the expertise of premises liability attorney Shane Smith.
- Thanksgiving Day Deck Collapse Injures 22 People
Description: Thanksgiving Day family photo turns tragic. If you have been injured, Call Shane Smith for a free consultation (770) 487-8999
- Halloween Decorations can Cause Injuries to Georgia Children
Description: Every year, many Georgia children suffer serious injuries on Halloween due to negligently decorated homes.
- Georgia's Duty to Make Premises Safe
Description: Georgia laws make homeowners & businesses responsible in maintaining safe properties for invitees. Premise liability lawyer Shane Smith helps victims
- Georgia's Duty of Reasonable Care in Premises Liability Case
Description: Georgia courts have held that property owners must maintain safe properties. Victims can use the expertise of premises liability attorney Shane Smith.
- Georgia Issues School Carbon Monoxide Detector Guidelines
Description: Georgia's legislature considered requiring schools to have carbon monoxide detectors after 50 hospitalized from an Atlanta school. Call Shane Smith for more info.
- You get hurt when a deck collapsed? Maybe we can help.
Description: An experienced Georgia lawyer can determine who to sue for injuries of a deck collapse. Clayton County premises liability attorney Shane Smith can help.
- Clayton County Lawyer Shane Smith Explains Premise Liability
Description: Georgia Premises liabilities involves an injury due to unsafe conditions on property controlled by another party. Premise Liability Attorney Shane Smith Explains
- Atlanta Braves Appeal Lawsuit from Foul Ball Injury
Description: A foul ball that struck a 6-year-old fan at a Braves game has led to a lawsuit against the team. Victims can use the expertise of Injury Attorney Shane Smith.
- Atlanta Apartment Complex Condemned
Description: Have you been injured due to unfit conditions in a place you rent? Call Shane Smith your Injury Attorney
- Georgia Attorney Shares how to Minimize Deck Collapse Falls
Description: Property owners have a duty to ensure the safety of the public. Clayton County premises liability attorney Shane Smith can help.
- Determining Liability in a Georgia Deck Collapse is Tricky
Description: Is there Compensation if I fall from a Deck? Who's Responsible? Clayton County Injury Attorney Shane Smith can help find the responsible parties.
Frequent Questions for Premises Liability:
- Is there a difference between slip and fall lawyers and personal injury attorneys?
- How can an attorney establish negligence in a slip and fall accident?
- What are the differences between slip and fall and step and fall accidents in regards to premises liability claims?
- How much should I expect to receive for a broken wrist in a slip and fall accident?
- I believe there was video surveillance of my fall, how do I get it?
- I fell due to a slippery floor and hit my head. I didn’t see bruising or bleeding, but I now have headaches. Isn’t this a sign of a brain injury?
- Does mopping a floor increase someone’s chances of being hurt in a Georgia slip and fall?
- What does it take to win a case against a supermarket after a slip and fall?
- Do dog owners pay victims when their dogs attack and cause them injuries?
- I fell down stairs at my friend’s apartment complex. I believe the staircase is hazardous. What should I do?
- Who is responsible for my son’s dog bite injury?
- Why is the insurance company trying to settle my knee injury claim for nothing? I injured my ACL and MCL in a slip and fall and am out of work. How can I get a bigger settlement?
- I fell at Kroger in some liquid. Could the supermarket be responsible for my ACL injury?
- Who can I sue for my elevator accident injury?
- Why would Wal-Mart go to trial instead of settling with me for my slip and fall claim?
- I suffered a hip injury after I fell on ice in front of my office. Who is responsible for my injuries and medical bills?
- Is a trip and fall accident the same as a slip and fall accident in Georgia?
- I slipped and fell in a grocery store and an employee saw me and came over to me to make sure I was okay. I didn’t realize my back was injured because I was embarrassed and in shock. I don’t have health insurance and now need to see a doctor. What should I do?
- I fell down the stairs at work because a stair gave way. What should I do about my medical bills?
- Who is responsible for my fall injury that occurred in a restaurant?
Videos about Premises Liability:
- How Important are the Details of My Slip and Fall Accident?
- Can the Distracted Doctrine Law Affect My Case?
- Reasonable Care and Premises Liability in Georgia
- Can the Location of My Slip and Fall Accident Affect My Recovery?
- Store Policy and Procedure For Fall Accidents
- Benefit of Video For Slip and Fall Accidents
- Important Questions to Ask About Reasonable Inspection Procedures
- Could My Slip and Fall Accident Have Been Prevented?
- What Questions Should I Ask after A Slip and Fall Accident?
- Liability in a slip and fall accident at Georgia malls
- Are Some Businesses More Dangerous Than Others?
- Questions to Ask When Injured in a Slip and Fall at Your Apartment
- How Distractions Can Cause Slip and Fall Accidents
- Important Questions to Ask After a Slip and Fall Accident
- Difference Between a Slip and Fall vs. Trip and Fall
- Who Will Pay My Peachtree City Slip and Fall Medical Bills?
- Will My Alpharetta Slip and Fall Case Go To Court?
- Vital Information to Win a Peachtree City Slip and Fall Case
- Medical Treatment After a Norcross Slip and Fall Accident
- What is a Preexisting Case?
Case Results for Premises Liability:
- Multiple Injuries from McDonald's Fall - Successful Ending for All!
- Columbus Restaurant Sight of Patron Fall - Settlement Successful
- Attorney Handle Client Case that Slipped in a Food Store ATL GA
- Shane Smith Settle Case Client Slipped on wet floor Kroger Dekalb Cnty
- Shopping Injury Case Settles - Linda was injured at a local restaurant while getting into a booth to eat.