As fall approaches and classes begin, many school-age children will start walking to and from school on a daily basis. Walking to school can be an economical a healthy way to commute, but also carries with it an inherent risk of injury. Pedestrian accidents can cause serious injury to the people involved, most often to the pedestrian themselves. When these accidents occur because of someone’s negligence, victims and their families may be able to recover damages through a personal injury lawsuit. The best way to make sure that you receive the compensation you deserve is to hire an experienced personal injury attorney to represent you. The lawyers of Shane Smith Law are dedicated personal injury advocates who work hard to get each client we represent the compensation that they deserve.
Fortunately for parents, there are steps that you can take to make sure that your child is as safe as possible when walking to and from school. Some of the things that parents can do to minimize the risk of their child being involved in an accident while walking to school include:
- Require that their child walk with a friend
- Pick a route that avoids busy intersections
- Tell your children not to run or play on their way to school
- Dress your children in brightly colored or retro-reflective clothing to increase their visibility
- Make sure that your children know to look left, right, and then left again before crossing the street
- Make sure that there are crossing guards along your children’s route
- Advise your children to walk, and not run, when crossing the street
In the unfortunate event that your child is injured in a pedestrian accident, be sure to seek appropriate medical attention as soon as possible. After your child’s condition is stable, contact an experienced personal injury attorney to retain legal representation.
Contact a Coweta County Personal Injury Attorney for a Free Consultation
If you or your child has been injured in a pedestrian accident, you may be entitled to significant compensation. In order to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced personal injury lawyers, call Shane Smith Law today at (980) 246-2656.