As you bring your case to your attorney, there are several items you can gather ahead of time to help speed up the filing process. If possible, locate the following 9 items and bring them with you to your initial consultation:
- the deceased’s will if applicable;
- personal information of the deceased (all names and aliases, date and place of birth, address of residence, etc.);
- identification numbers (Social Security number, military ID, etc.);
- insurance policy information;
- financial account information;
- identification and contact information for surviving spouses, dependents or next of kin;
- marriage certificate or power of attorney documentation;
- deeds to burial plots or funeral arrangements; and
- death certificate and autopsy report if available.
These initial pieces of information can assist your attorney in reviewing your case to determine if you’re entitled to file a wrongful death claim on behalf of your loved one. These items - in addition to other pertinent details of a wrongful death claim, such as how the death occurred and who was responsible for the death – are matters best left to be handled by an experienced attorney.
Filing a wrongful death claim? It’s time to talk to an Atlanta personal injury attorney.
The unexpected loss of a loved one due to a catastrophic accident is never an easy situation to deal with. During this difficult time it’s easy to get frustrated with your circumstances – your family didn’t deserve to suffer due to the negligence of another!
At Shane Smith Law we help the families of accident victims seek justice after they’ve suffered losses due to another’s negligence. We have helped victims in Atlanta and the surrounding areas with cases of accidents caused by negligent drivers or other accidents resulting in fatal injury.
Before making the decision to hire an attorney, request a copy of our FREE eBooks on DUI car accidents, property damage and what to avoid in a Georgia car accident claim. Our guides contain valuable information on how to handle filing a wrongful death claim on behalf of your loved one. When you’re ready to get started on your claim, contact us to set up a FREE consultation with an Atlanta personal injury attorney – 1-770-487-8999.