When there is little friction between a person’s shoe and the ground because of spilled liquid, a loose rug, uneven flooring, or an oily surface, a slip and fall accident in Atlanta can occur. When there is clutter on the ground, an uneven step, or wrinkled or torn carpeting, a trip and fall accident can take place. In either event, a victim of a same-level trip, or slip and fall accident in Georgia may become injured.
Statistics indicate that same-level falls account for up to 60 percent of falls in this nation, with the remaining occurring from falls from heights. Other statistics regarding trip, slip, and fall accidents include:
- Slip and falls account for over one million hospital emergency room visits.
- More women experience slip and fall accidents than men, while men experience more on-the-job fall fatalities than women.
- Fractures are the most common consequence of falls.
- Hip fractures are the most serious of all the fractures from falls, which can lead to death.
- Over 50 percent of those age 65 and older hospitalized for hip fractures from falls cannot live independently after the injury.
- About 40 percent of all nursing home admissions are due to falls.
- Floors and flooring materials directly contribute to over two million fall injuries annually, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
- For those over 65 years of age, falls account for 87 percent of all fractures and are the second leading cause of spinal cord and brain injury for people in this age group.
- Falls are the second leading cause of injury-related death for those 65-84 years, and the leading cause of injury-related death for those aged 85 and older.
Trip, slip, and falls affect every age group, although seniors are more likely to suffer fatal injuries in the event of a fall. When you or a loved one has been injured by hazards or poor maintenance, you need to talk with an experienced Atlanta slip and fall attorney to find out if you can hold the negligent property owner or possessor liable for your injuries or the loss of your loved one. Call Shane Smith Law at 770-HURT-999 for a complimentary, confidential case consultation today.