According to United States Department of Transportation data an average of over 60,000 pedestrians are injured in accidents with vehicles in the United States each year. The Research and Innovative Technology Administration (RITA) published a study that showed most pedestrian injuries occur at night.
If you are injured a Clayton County pedestrian accident attorney at the Law Offices of Shane Smith can review the incident and advise you of your legal rights.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 4,280 pedestrians were killed in 2010 in United States traffic crashes, and another 70,000 pedestrians were injured. This averages to one crash-related pedestrian death every 2 hours, and a pedestrian injury every 8 minutes.
Georgia pedestrian accident victims frequently make mistakes that can negatively impact their claims. For example:
- Victims make statements to insurance company representatives or medical officials that are documented and used against them during their case.
- Victims do not seek legal advice when the offending motorist's insurance adjuster claims the insurance company's approved doctor must perform an evaluation in order for the victim to receive benefits.
- Victims send their medical bills to the offending motorist's insurance adjuster under the mistaken belief that the adjuster will the one who will issue payment or reimbursement. In fact, the victim may have just prevented full payment by allowing access to medical records.
- Victims settle their case quickly and related injuries appear years later, causing significant pain and a necessary lifestyle change.
- Victims settle for less or demand more than precedent dictates or than the law allows for a specific kind of accident.
Hospitalization periods following a pedestrian accident can be lengthy and medical bills can be costly. The Law Offices of Shane Smith can investigate sources of insurance and other benefits available to pay the medical bills. We can also negotiate and reduce hospital and insurance liens that potentially could reduce the amount of money due at a case's conclusion.
Victims should seek the assistance of a Clayton County pedestrian accident attorney to protect their rights by securing police reports, eyewitness testimony and physical evidence and to deal with insurance representatives. Victims should call the Law Offices of Shane Smith for a free legal consultation.