The scene of a car crash is chaotic. There are wrecked cars, injuries and traffic to deal with. Immediately after a crash, it is hard to tell who is at fault and what exactly happened.
On top of the external confusion, your body is producing stress hormones and may be fighting shock. Everyone's emotions are running high. This is not the time to say something that may be held against you in the future.
Saying "Sorry" may imply that you are taking the blame. Any statement made at the scene can be held against you in court. Even if you feel that you caused the accident, this is not the time to admit fault. Wait until you've had a chance to calm down and reflect about what happened before making any statements about the accident.
So what should you say to the other driver? Ask if they are injured and need help. Call 911 if necessary and then limit your conversation to the exchange of contact and insurance information. Give them your name, phone number, and insurance information.
You can learn more about what not to do after a car crash in Cobb County accident attorney Shane Smith's book, 10 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Georgia Wreck Case.
Search Our Site
In Pain? Call Shane!
Before you sign any documents, we urge you to contact our legal team using this short form. We will be in touch within 24 hours to discuss your case.
- Posted on 07/22/2021 DUI Driver Sentenced in Rolls Royce Fatality
- Posted on 06/28/2021 Georgia Car Accident Statistics | In Pain? Call Shane!
- Posted on 07/31/2015 Advice from a Clayton County Auto Accident Attorney—Part V
- I am very pleased with the help Shane Smith's provided me. During my treatment, the doctor I was recommended to was really amazing. I highly recommend this firm to anyone! They had everything prepared and worked fast. This is such a great, fast working firm. -Britney
- You were very helpful in finding doctors for my daughter and I quickly after our accident. I appreciate you for you help and promptness. You handled my case so well from treatment to settlement. -Wendy
- My case manager answered all of my questions during my treatment phase. All of my calls were returned in a timely manner. I felt I was contacted frequently and made aware of new developments in my case. My case manager treated me very kindly as if I was her own family. I feel great about choosing the Shane Smith Law Firm and thank you greatly.
- ?Does Georgia law require that I total my vehicle if the insurance company wants me to after a car accident?
- ?My teenage son doesn’t seem too concerned that texting while driving can lead to a crash in Georgia. How can I get through to him?
- ?What types of damages are available to injured passengers?