An ignition interlock device (IID) is a piece of equipment that is similar to a breathalyzer. The IID is installed on the dashboard of a DUI offender’s vehicle. The motor vehicle cannot be started until the driver exhales into the device; if the breath-alcohol concentration analyzed result is greater than the programmed blood alcohol concentration (0.02% or 0.04%), the device will prevent the engine of the car from being started. To prevent fraud, the IID requires breath samples and random intervals after the car has started.
One-third of traffic accident deaths are caused by drunk drivers. In February, the CDC announced that repeat DUI offenses were reduced by 67 percent when ignition interlocks were required for all convicted drunk drivers.
If you lost a loved one to a drunk driver in Georgia, Atlanta DUI Injury attorney Shane Smith can help. Mr. Smith works to protect the rights of families who have experienced a DUI death and to get them compensation for their tragic loss. To learn more, contact The Law Offices of Shane Smith at 770-HURT-999.
Search Our Site
Before you sign any documents, we urge you to contact our legal team using this short form. We will be in touch within 24 hours to discuss your case.
- Posted on 09/17/2018 DUI Wrongful Death Claims: What You Should Know
- Posted on 09/17/2018 The Deep Emotional Impact of Georgia Drunk Driving Accidents—and Its Role in Personal Injury Cases
- Posted on 09/17/2018 Understanding How the Criminal Process Works in Georgia Drunk Driving Accident Cases
- Love the firm of Shane Smith. I am very happy and would highly recommend them to anyone! I was very informed throughout the process of my case through mail and phone call check ups!
- I am very pleased with Shane Smith Law Office for the hard work and dedication they provided in servicing me on my case. Shane Smith offers quality service. -Alton
- They were very nice and prompt about my whole case. Everyone on staff at Shane Smith's firm treated me with great gratitude and respect. Thank you so much! -Veronica
- ?What separates a personal injury lawyer from a DUI victim lawyer?
- ?My son was badly injured after a football game by a drunk driver. Is our case against the driver or the stadium for serving that driver alcohol?
- ?I understand I can file a lawsuit against a drunk driver who injured me, but will criminal punishment happen too?