Several High-intensity Activated Cross Walk or HAWK traffic signals are scheduled to be installed in Georgia, in and around Atlanta, this month.
The HAWK signals were developed by city traffic engineers in Tucson, Arizona. When not in use, the signal stays dark and traffic flows freely. When a pedestrian or bicyclist wants to cross the road, they press a button. The overhead signals flash yellow lights, followed by a solid yellow and a solid red; this stops traffic so the person can cross. The solid red light is followed by flashing red lights. Drivers are permitted to proceed if the crosswalk is clear at that time. Then the signal goes dark again.
Researchers compared before-and-after crash data at 21 HAWK sites in Arizona. They found that the signals led to a 13% to 29% reduction in all motor vehicle crashes and a 50% drop in pedestrian accidents.
While the signals have been around for almost ten years, states needed special permission from the Federal Highway Administration to install HAWKs. However, they are now permitted and the Georgia Department of Transportation plans to make use of the new signals.
The Law Offices of Shane Smith represent victims of Georgia pedestrian accidents in and around Atlanta. If you have been injured in an Atlanta pedestrian accident, call 770-HURT-999 for more information.
Search Our Site
Before you sign any documents, we urge you to contact our legal team using this short form. We will be in touch within 24 hours to discuss your case.
- Posted on 12/17/2014 Gwinnett County Police Report Increase in Pedestrian Deaths
- Posted on 12/13/2014 Peachtree City Trick-or-Treaters are at Risk for Pedestrian Accidents
- Posted on 12/10/2014 Failure to Yield to Pedestrian Results in Injury for University of Georgia Student
- I was treated very well at Shane Smith's law firm. Every time I called I was informed on everything about my case without asking. I love your firm! -Jasmine
- I really enjoyed working and speaking with my case manager, Shirley. She was a great help in my treatment process. I was always informed about my case. She always returned my phone calls within a day and explained everything clearly. I am very pleased with the care and compassion I received while being a client of the Law Offices of Shane Smith. Destiny