According to the United States Department of Transportation Federal Motor Carrier Safety, at least 77,000 of the approximately 141,000 truck crashes in 2011 could be blamed on driver error. Truck accident injuries are often severe due to a truck's size and weight and are difficult to avoid because of long stopping distances required by tractor trailers. If you are the victim of a truck accident it is important to have an experienced truck accident attorney in Clayton County.
According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, a tractor trailer associated with a company with a record of driving violations caused two Georgia deaths when it ran a red light. The tractor trailer's 64-year-old driver struck and killed two women on their lunch break.
The tractor trailer's parent company has a history of moving violations. These included:
· Speeding—14 violations
- Speeding 15 or more miles per hour over the speed limit—4 violations
- Speeding work/construction zone—4 violations
· Following too closely—11 violations
· Failure to obey traffic control device—8 violations
· Lane restriction violation—5 violations
· Improper lane change—3 violations
· Improper passing—1 violation
· Reckless driving—1 violation
In 2011 and 2012, the company reported 18 accidents. These included 8 that had injuries, with 17 people injured in the accidents.
If you or someone you know has been hurt by a truck driver, meet with a Big Rig Lawyer at the Law Offices of Shane Smith. We can assist you in every stage of your case including obtaining the available evidence.