According to a 2011 news release from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2010, the transportation industry came in third for the highest rate of on-the-job fatalities; 13 out of every 100,000 members of the industry died due to commercial vehicle accidents and other workplace incidents. Sadly, many of these could have been prevented had the drivers been exercising more caution on the roadways. If you have been injured or lost a loved one in such an accident, explore your legal options with an Atlanta commercial vehicle accident lawyer.
Accident Prevention Tips
These safety tips may help prevent dangerous and life-threatening accidents:
- Mark all blind spots on your vehicle. This will prevent cars from stopping or changing lanes in areas you can’t see them.
- Ensure all vehicles and pieces of equipment are on a regular maintenance plan. They should be checked annually for any hazards or safety issues.
- Reduce speed during times of poor visibility, such as fog, rain or snow.
- Always wear your seat belt.
- Avoid distracted driving. No text messaging, talking on the phone or eating while driving. Pull over if you need to do one of these things.
- Don’t drive tired. If you feel yourself getting sleep, find a rest stop and take a break.
- Scan traffic up ahead. Be aware of any upcoming hazards.
- Don’t speed, especially when going around turns. Take it slow and easy when turning corners.
Contact an Atlanta Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been injured while driving on the job, call 770-487-8999, 770-HURT-999 or 404-513-5415 to speak with an Atlanta commercial vehicle accident lawyer at the Law Offices of Shane Smith today. For more information, download our free eBook, 10 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Georgia Wreck Case.