In Georgia, auto accidents happen each and every day. While some are minor fender benders, others are serious accidents that can produce catastrophic or even fatal injuries. In either case, victims of Atlanta car accidents need to know how much their settlements are worth since all auto insurance claims are valued differently.
Consider these tips when trying to figure out how much your accident claim should be valued at:
- Read your insurance policy and know what is covered in your auto policy, such as collision and comprehensive coverage, uninsured motorists coverage, medical coverage, and each of the limits.
- Get a couple estimates to learn how much it will cost to repair your car to the condition it was in prior to the crash.
- Add up all your medical bills, doctor’s visits, co-pays, emergency room charges, physical therapy, prescriptions, and any other medical-related cost that you incurred from the accident.
- Find out if there will be future costs involved, such as more medical procedures, time off of work, etc.
- Determine if you were partially at fault for the accident. Insurance companies like to blame some level of fault on you for your accident so they can underpay your claim.
- Decide what dollar amount or range you believe would adequately compensate you; however, let the insurance company present you with the first offer.
- You can reject the first offer and ask for a figure toward the higher part of your range knowing that the insurance company will negotiate.
Keep in mind that the insurance company generally starts with an offer toward the lower end of their range and that they have room to negotiate. Although there is room to bring them up, don’t ask for an outrageous amount unless you know your claim should be valued at that amount. If you are not content with the offer, get a lawyer involved with your claim to make sure you get compensated fairly. Call Shane Smith Law at 770-HURT-999 for a free consultation with a skilled Atlanta injury lawyer today.