Were your medical bills paid through your own health insurance plan?
Is your health insurance demanding to be paid back?
In many cases, health insurance companies want you to reimburse them for their payments out of your personal injury recovery. This may significantly reduce your settlement.
This are of the law is known as "subrogation". Subrogation law is very complex and some insurance companies take advantage of the complexity of the law by demanding payment even in cases where they have no claim.
However, if there is a valid claim, the insurance agency may place a lien on your recovery. The lien may affect your ability to pay for future medical care and other needs.
It is important that you discuss your insurance and the possibility of liens with your Atlanta personal injury attorney, especially if your bills were paid by Medicare, Medicaid, or military benefits. Your Georgia car crash attorney will be able to determine if the insurance company has a valid claim. To learn more, contact the Law Office of Shane Smith at 770-HURT-999.
Search Our Site
Before you sign any documents, we urge you to contact our legal team using this short form. We will be in touch within 24 hours to discuss your case.
- Posted on 07/31/2015 Advice from a Clayton County Auto Accident Attorney—Part V
- Posted on 07/30/2015 Advice from a Clayton County Auto Accident Attorney—Part IV
- Posted on 07/29/2015 Advice from a Clayton County Auto Accident Attorney—Part III
- I am very pleased with the help Shane Smith's provided me. During my treatment, the doctor I was recommended to was really amazing. I highly recommend this firm to anyone! They had everything prepared and worked fast. This is such a great, fast working firm. -Britney
- You were very helpful in finding doctors for my daughter and I quickly after our accident. I appreciate you for you help and promptness. You handled my case so well from treatment to settlement. -Wendy
- My case manager answered all of my questions during my treatment phase. All of my calls were returned in a timely manner. I felt I was contacted frequently and made aware of new developments in my case. My case manager treated me very kindly as if I was her own family. I feel great about choosing the Shane Smith Law Firm and thank you greatly.