In 2007, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) conducted the Large Truck Crash Causation Study (LTCCS) in order to determine the major causes of accidents involving large trucks. The study included 963 large truck crashes that occurred over an 18 month period between 2001 and 2003. Each crash resulted in at least one fatality or injury. What did the authors of the study learn?
Total sample: 963 crashes
Number of trucks involved: 1,123
Number of passenger vehicles involved: 959
Number of fatalities: 249
Number of injuries: 1,654
Top contributing factors to large truck accidents:
1. Brake problems 29%
2. Travelling too fast: 23%
3. Unfamiliar with roadway: 22%
4. Roadway problems: 20%
5. Over-the-counter drug use: 17%
6. Inadequate surveillance: 14%
7. Fatigue: 13%
8. Driver under pressure from trucking company: 10%
9. Illegal maneuver: 9%
10. Driver inattention: 9%
11. External distractions: 8%
12. Tire problems: 6%
13. Following too closely: 5%
14. Jackknifing: 4%
15. Driver illness 3%
16. Internal distraction: 2%
17. Illegal drugs: 2%
18. Alcohol: 1%
The study found that most truck accidents are preventable. If your loved one was injured or killed due to a negligent driver, the injury didn't have to happen. To learn more, contact an Atlanta truck accident lawyer at 770-HURT-999.
Search Our Site
Before you sign any documents, we urge you to contact our legal team using this short form. We will be in touch within 24 hours to discuss your case.
- In September 2014 Shane Smith had the pleasure of awarding Kim Strudivant with the Fayette County Local Teacher of the Month award. In return Charlotee Sanders the Principal of Grace Christian Academy sent him a warm thank you that we wanted to share. Charlotte Sanders Principal of Grace Christian Academy
- Love the firm of Shane Smith. I am very happy and would highly recommend them to anyone! I was very informed throughout the process of my case through mail and phone call check ups!
- I am very pleased with Shane Smith Law Office for the hard work and dedication they provided in servicing me on my case. Shane Smith offers quality service. -Alton