Getting into a car accident in Georgia can be terrifying, but it can be even more so overwhelming when a crash takes place out of your city and out of your comfort zone. For this reason, it is best to prepare your car prior to taking a road trip this summer. Have your car serviced or make sure you check your oil, tire pressure, and tire tread. Additionally, it is wise to travel with orange cones or road flares and a first aid kit.
If you are involved in an out-of-town car accident, you should treat the accident the same as if it happened in your own city. Here’s a quick list of steps you should take:
- Try and stay calm
- If anyone is injured, call 911 for an ambulance
- Ask for the police to come out to the accident scene
- Have your car insurance information in your glove box and report your accident to the insurance company
- Your insurance company may be able to help you with getting your car towed and contacting towing companies and repair shops in an unfamiliar area
- Exchange information with the other driver
- Ask for a copy of the police report
- Take pictures of the accident scene and damage to both cars, and write down a description of what happened
- If anyone witnessed the crash, ask for their contact information
- Never admit fault or say “I’m sorry”
- Save all receipts for additional expenses the accident has cost you
It is best to work with an attorney you trust to make sure you get the necessary compensation that you are due. For help following a crash, contact Peachtree City injury attorney Shane Smith at 770.487.8999 for a free consultation.