After you have been in a truck accident in Georgia, you probably have many questions and are looking to make sure you do everything right so that you can maximize your claim. You probably know by now that insurance companies are not looking out for your best interests, which is why you need to look out for yourself. One way of doing this is to hire an attorney who understands trucking laws and can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf.
If you don’t want to hire an accident attorney, or even if you chose to hire one, here are some important things to remember when you do file a claim:
- Report the accident to the insurance company quickly
- Be careful what you say when speaking with the insurance adjuster
- Don’t deny or downplay being injured
- Don’t exaggerate an injury
- Be honest because investigators will fact check everything
- Don’t miss doctor’s appointments
- Don’t sign a release form or any documents before an attorney reviews them
- Don’t agree to the first settlement offer
- Don’t settle too quickly before you know the extent of your injuries
- Consult with an attorney if the insurance company is not being fair
Insurance companies for trucking companies are huge powerhouses. It is important not to let them bully you around or pressure you into settling for an unfair offer. While you can deal with the insurance company on your own, it is in your best interest to seek the advice of an experienced Norcross trucking accident attorney. A skilled lawyer will know how to investigate your accident, what evidence to preserve, and how much your case may be worth. For a free consultation, contact the Law Offices of Shane Smith at 770.487.8999.