As children return to school this fall, it is a safe bet that many of them will be taking advantage of their school playgrounds and other recreational areas. While playground activities can be a healthy and enjoyable way for kids to spend their time, playground use also creates the risk of injury. The injuries that kids can sustain in playground accidents can range from mild to severe, sometimes even resulting in long-term complications. When playground accidents occur due to someone else’s negligence, victims and their families may be able to recover through a personal injury lawsuit. By consulting with an experienced personal injury attorney, you can determine whether you have a claim and also what parties may be legally liable for your or your loved ones injuries. The personal injury attorneys of the Law Offices of Shane Smith understand how important it is for victims of playground accidents to get the compensation they deserve, and are dedicated to holding negligent parties responsible for the injuries that they cause.
Risk Factors for Playground Injuries
While all playground use carries some risk, certain groups and playground equipment carry more risk than others. By understanding what risks are posed by playgrounds, you can effectively reduce your and your loved ones risk of sustaining a playground injury in an accident. Some of the risk factors for playground injuries include:
- Being female – females tend to sustain playground injuries more frequently than males
- Children between the ages of 5 to 9 have higher rates of emergency department visits due to playground injuries than any other group
- Climbers pose the greatest risk of injury at public playgrounds
- Swings pose the greatest risk of injury at home playgrounds
- According to at least one study, playgrounds in low-income areas were more likely to have hazards related to poor maintenance than playgrounds in higher income areas
Contact a Coweta County personal injury attorney for a free consultation
If you or a loved one has been injured in a playground related accident, you may be entitled to substantial compensation. In order to schedule a free consultation with one of our personal injury lawyers, call the Law Offices of Shane Smith today at (770) 487-8999.