A report by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimated that 25,580 people died and many more were injured in 2012 auto accidents from January through September. Being prepared before an accident can enable a victim to obtain all the necessary information that will be helpful to their case.
Consulting a Clayton County attorney after an auto accident enhances a victim's ability to receive a reasonable settlement. If you have been injured in an automobile accident you should discuss your case with an accident attorney at Shane Smith Law.
Georgia auto accident victims will likely face four consideration areas following the accident:
- The accident's immediate aftermath;
- Auto accident lawsuits;
- Auto accident-related pain;
- Auto accident-related injuries.
Georgia drivers should be aware of what NOT to do after an accident just as they need to know what they should do to optimize a claim.
Drivers should avoid these common mistakes:
- Do not apologize for the accident to the other driver—Apologies can be inferred as admissions of guilt. Such statements are commonly reported to insurance companies and can be used against an accident victim to reduce the compensation he receives.
- Do not be confrontational or accusatory at the accident scene—Hostility, anger and accusations may be recorded in a police report and used against an accident victim. A police officer may interpret anger or hostility as an admission of culpability.
- Do not refuse medical treatment—Accident victims should be examined by medical personnel even if there are no immediate signs of injury. Waiting too long after an accident may impede a claim for compensation.
- Do not post accident details on social media—Insurance companies can use social media postings as evidence.
- Do not ignore your own insurance company—An accident victim should report the incident to his insurance company even if he does not believe he was at fault.
If you or someone you know has been hurt in an auto accident, meet with a Clayton County auto accident lawyer at Shane Smith Law. We can obtain the relevant evidence including police reports.