When a pedestrian is involved in a traffic related accident, the results can be catastrophic. Pedestrians are the most vulnerable group who use the road, and there are laws in place to protect pedestrians from the hazards posed by motorized vehicles. When a pedestrian accident occurs, it is often the result of driver negligence, and the responsible party or parties may be held liable for any injuries they may cause. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, on average, in the next 24 hours 342 people will need to go to an emergency room as a result of injuries sustained in a pedestrian accident. People injured in these accidents may be entitled to significant compensation for any injuries they sustained. In order to determine whether you have a claim, it is important to have your case reviewed by an experienced personal injury attorney. The lawyers of the Law Offices of Shane Smith are dedicated to helping people injured in pedestrian accidents recover for their injuries.
All pedestrians, regardless of age, are at risk of injury or death due to a pedestrian accident. Certain groups are more at risk than others, however, and it is important that members of these groups are aware that they are at an increased risk. Among the groups at higher risk of being involved in pedestrian accidents are:
- Males are more likely to be injured or be involved in fatal pedestrian accidents
- African-Americans and Native Americans are more likely to be involved in fatal pedestrian accidents
- People between 10 and 20 years of age are more likely to be treated in emergency departments for injuries sustained in pedestrian accidents
- The risk of a pedestrian accident being fatal generally increases with age
- Use of alcohol by pedestrians increases the risk of being involved in a fatal pedestrian accident
Contact a Coweta County pedestrian accident attorney for a free consultation
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, you may be entitled to significant compensation. It is important to consult with a personal injury attorney to determine whether you have a legal claim against the party or parties responsible for your injuries. To schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced Coweta County personal injury lawyers, call the Law Offices of Shane Smith today at (770) 487-8999.