What is an electronic on-board recording device?
The EOBR is similar to the “black box” we hear about in airplanes. It records data about the truck it is installed in, and most importantly, the number of hours the vehicle has been driven. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requires almost every interstate commercial truck to have an EOBR installed.
The EOBR is required to record specific information about the truck driver and their record of duty. All of this data is transmitted to the driver’s motor carrier home office where it is required to be stored and available for access either digitally or physically by federal, state or local officials.
The Importance of a Truck Driver’s Record of Duty
Federal regulations limit the number of consecutive hours a truck driver may operate their vehicle, as well as the number of consecutive days of driving they may undertake before a break is required. These regulations are often accompanied by more strict laws in certain states where the driver’s employer is registered.
The restrictions on driving times for truckers are a measure put into effect to combat the dangers of fatigued drivers. The record of duty can serve as proof that a driver was negligent in following the federal or state laws for operation time limits.
To be eligible to file an injury claim for a truck accident, attorneys need to help their clients provide evidence that the truck driver was negligent in safe driving. A violation of the record of duty rules can be critical evidence to support the accusation of a fatigued and impaired driver, but only when the EOBR data is obtained and used properly.
Continue reading to find out how Georgia truck accident attorneys can help you obtain and use this data to support your injury claim.
Continue to Next Page >>
Search Our Site
In Pain? Call Shane!
Before you sign any documents, we urge you to contact our legal team using this short form. We will be in touch within 24 hours to discuss your case.
- You are a very good law firm and Shane Smith is a great attorney. I am so happy I chose him as my lawyer. You are the best firm I ever had and if I need a personal injury attorney again, I will call right away! -Lasarah
- I would recommend you to my friends and family because you all handled my case very well without me having to worry about a thing. I have a very strong feeling that I could not have picked a better firm. -Ronnie
- I would recommend the services of the law firm of R. Shane Smith because they worked in my best interests. The firm was very professional and courteous. I am very pleased with the overall quality of service.
- Posted on 08/24/2015FedEx Truck Collides with Police Cruiser, Closes I-85
- Posted on 07/23/2015Speeding Tractor Trailer Causes Fatal Georgia Crash
- Posted on 07/22/2015Driverless Tractor Trailer Crosses 10 Lanes of Traffic, Crashes into Business