Gwinnett County DUI Accident Attorney Shane Smith Warns Drivers of Drunk Driving Dangers
According to recent statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, drunk drivers cost the public more than $51 billion annually. Due to the negligence and recklessness of drunk drivers, as many as 30 people die from drunk driving auto accidents. More statistics from 2010 point to the dangers drivers in Georgia and all over the country face on a daily basis:
- Almost one out of three traffic fatalities (31%) were caused by auto accidents involving drunk drivers
- Nearly 1 in 5 of all traffic fatalities involved victims from newborns to 14 year olds (17%) were killed due to a drunk under the influence of alcohol.
- Only 1.4 million of the 112 self-reported cases of people admitting to driving while intoxicated were arrested.
What Demographics Are Vulnerable?
While everyone who takes the road is vulnerable, there are some groups who are put at an even more precarious situation. Three specific groups which are particularly vulnerable are: people under age 25, motorcycle enthusiasts, and drivers with a record of one or more drunk driving convictions.
- More than one-third of all drivers under the influence of alcohol were aged 21 to 24 (34%).
- Regardless of the amount of alcohol consumed, younger people are at an inherently greater risk of being involved in a auto accident compared to more mature drivers.
- Almost 1 in 3 motorcyclists (28%) had blood alcohol content (BAC) levels of 0.08 or greater. This same demographic had the highest number of deaths for those who are considered legally drunk with blood alcohol content (BAC) levels of 0.08 or more.
- Drivers who are actively on the road under the influence are more likely to be repeat offenders.
If you have been involved in a Georgia DUI accident and have suffered physical and emotional damages, you may be entitled to a personal injury claim against the at-fault parties. Talking with a Gwinnett County DUI accident attorney will help you figure out if you have a claim, what your damages are, what you need to do and what you may be entitled to. Call (770) 487-8999 and schedule a free consultation to see what your legal rights are.