Georgia Pedestrian Accident Attorney Shane Smith Reports on Un-Acceptable Levels of Pedestrian Injuries & Deaths
Unfortunately, pedestrians are put at far too many risks when they walk around. Whether a pedestrian lives in a big city, a suburb or a rural setting, these innocent victims suffer far too many severe injuries and deaths that can often be avoided by negligent drivers taking their driving more seriously.
According to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration, the following statistics highlight the gravity of the dangers pedestrians face:
- During 2009, more than 4,000 pedestrians were killed and nearly 59,000 were injured in auto accidents.
- More than 1 in 10 (12%) of all traffic related accidents involved pedestrians and 3 out of 100 of all injuries from auto accidents were suffered by injuries.
- Nearly 7 out of 10 (69%) of all pedestrian deaths were suffered by men.
- Nearly 4 out of 10 (37%) pedestrians were killed by legally drunk drivers
These are frightening statistics that show pedestrians face severe injuries and the possibility of death by simply walking to and from. If you have been injured or have had a loved one die due to the negligence or recklessness of a motor vehicle operator, call the Law Offices of Shane Smith at (770) 487-8999 today. You will be able to speak with a Gwinnett County pedestrian accident lawyer who will evaluate your circumstances and inform you of your legal rights. Your Georgia pedestrian accident attorney will be able to evaluate all accident and medical reports and look into all off the events to see what your circumstances merit.
Even though pedestrians face serious dangers on a daily basis, there are some things that can be done. Some simple, yet effective tips include:
- Don’t walk during dusk, dawn or when it’s dark outside. Walking during the daylight enables drivers to see you a lot easier while walking and crossing intersections.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Situational awareness is key to minimizing your chances of getting injured or killed.
- Use crosswalk, intersection walk signals and look both ways to make sure all cars have stopped.
Even though using your judgment and common sense will help prevent injuries and even death, even the most careful pedestrian can be hit and injured or killed. If you are the unfortunate victim or have had a family member killed due to a negligent or reckless driver, you may have a case. Call a Gwinnett county pedestrian accident lawyer today at the Law Offices of Shane Smith today. Your free legal consultation is only a phone call away at (770) 487-8999.