In 2008, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration released a report detailing the statistics from all of the recorded vehicle accidents that year. Of the 37,261 fatalities reported, 11,773 were attributed to an alcohol-impaired driver.
Georgia Negligence Rules for a Car Accident Resulting from DUI
When filing an injury or wrongful death claim after a car accident you’ll be required to show that the negligence of another caused the accident. In Georgia the negligence rules are known as modified comparative fault 50% rule. This means that you must prove the intoxicated driver was more than 50% at fault for causing the accident for you to be eligible to recover damages.
The proof of negligence is more than just a matter of putting the blame on the other driver. For complex cases with serious injuries and damages you may need a Fulton injury law firm to help you file your claim and produce critical evidence of your losses and the negligence of the other driver.
Breach of Duty and How It Applies to Negligence Claims
When a driver gets behind the wheel of a vehicle they have a duty to make sure they are fit to drive. When alcohol is present in a driver’s body they can become impaired to the point where their judgment and reaction times are altered, making them a hazard to those sharing the road around them.
By choosing to drive while intoxicated a driver is breaching their duty to other motorists and pedestrians to keep themselves from creating potential hazards with their vehicle.
There are many types of evidence that can be critical to your car accident injury claim and cases where DUI is a factor and can be particularly difficult to pursue.
Continue reading to find out about the challenges of proving negligence in a DUI accident and how a Fulton injury law firm (770-487-8999) can help.
Continue to Next Page >>
Search Our Site
In Pain? Call Shane!
Before you sign any documents, we urge you to contact our legal team using this short form. We will be in touch within 24 hours to discuss your case.
- ?I was a passenger in a drunk driver’s car when an accident happened. How can I get compensation for my injuries? In Pain? Call Shane!
- ?What separates a personal injury lawyer from a DUI victim lawyer?
- ?My son was badly injured after a football game by a drunk driver. Is our case against the driver or the stadium for serving that driver alcohol?
- Love the firm of Shane Smith. I am very happy and would highly recommend them to anyone! I was very informed throughout the process of my case through mail and phone call check ups!
- I am very pleased with Shane Smith Law Office for the hard work and dedication they provided in servicing me on my case. Shane Smith offers quality service. -Alton
- They were very nice and prompt about my whole case. Everyone on staff at Shane Smith's firm treated me with great gratitude and respect. Thank you so much! -Veronica
- Posted on 07/02/2021Teen Drunk Driver Sentenced to 15 Years for Death of 16-Year-Old | In Pain Call Shane
- Posted on 07/02/2021Is there a difference between DUI and DWI in Georgia? | In Pain Call Shane
- Posted on 09/25/2015Who Is Responsible in Georgia DUI Accidents?