There are always risks on the roads, and there are especially risks for pedestrians who walk along America's roads. Because pedestrians have little to no protection, a collision with a motor vehicle that weighs thousands of pounds can cause serious injury and often death. All drivers and pedestrians should take every possible safety precaution to share the roads safely, however that is not always the case. Accidents do happen, and an estimated 70,000 pedestrians are injured every year. If you are one of those injured pedestrians, make sure to call an experienced Coweta County pedestrian accident attorney as soon as possible to evaluate your case.
As a pedestrian, there are safety precautions you can take to avoid an accident. These precautions include:
- Always walk on a sidewalk when possible; when there is no sidewalk, always walk facing the street
- Only cross the street at designated crosswalks and follow traffic signals
- When crossing the street, always look both ways and be aware of motor vehicles that may be turning and not noticing or acknowledging that pedestrians may have the right of way
- When walking at night or in adverse weather, wear reflective clothing and use a flashlight when possible to make yourself visible.
As the driver of a motor vehicle, you can also take steps to keep pedestrians safe and help avoid pedestrian accidents:
- Always take note of pedestrian traffic signals before you make a turn as they may have the right of way
- If you see a pedestrian walking along the side of the road, share the road and keep a safe distance away from them
- In neighborhoods with a large amount of children, drive slowly and be aware of playing children as they could suddenly dart into the street
If pedestrians and drivers of motor vehicles work together to walk and drive safely, they can help avoid or significantly decrease the amount of injuries that result from pedestrian accidents. In the meantime, if you are injured in a pedestrian accident, make sure you call the Law Offices of Shane Smith at (770) 487-8999 as soon as possible. An experienced Coweta County pedestrian accident attorney can help you get reimbursed for your injuries.