One of the most important aspects of the truck accident claims process is compiling the evidence. Each piece of documentation is vital, with some being especially critical when attempting to prove fault.
Personal Injury Lawsuit: Using the Driver’s Duty Book as Evidence
Although there are all kinds of causes for a truck accident, one of the most common is when the driver is feeling fatigued or actually falls asleep at the wheel. Because of the sheer size and weight of a truck, the chance that the accident can be fatal is significant.
At the very least victims may sustain severe, disabling or life-threatening injuries. When a truck driver has been driving for too many hours on the road and it seriously impacts their judgment, the consequences can be catastrophic.
This is where the driver’s duty book may help. Truck drivers are required to record the amount of driving time and the time spent resting or sleeping. There are regulations pertaining to what can be allowed so you may be able to demonstrate that there was a violation.
Current rules are that truck drivers cannot operate their vehicle for more than 10 consecutive hours, without at least 8 hours of rest. So this still leaves open 16 hours of driving time in a given day.
While limiting the driving time and alternating it with rest time can help, it may not be enough, or the driver may not abide by these rules and as a result, cause an accident. Since these rules are also subject to change, you should discuss the most current laws with auto accident lawyers in Atlanta - 1-770-HURT-999.
Continue to Next Page >>
Search Our Site
Before you sign any documents, we urge you to contact our legal team using this short form. We will be in touch within 24 hours to discuss your case.
- You are a very good law firm and Shane Smith is a great attorney. I am so happy I chose him as my lawyer. You are the best firm I ever had and if I need a personal injury attorney again, I will call right away! -Lasarah
- I would recommend you to my friends and family because you all handled my case very well without me having to worry about a thing. I have a very strong feeling that I could not have picked a better firm. -Ronnie
- I would recommend the services of the law firm of R. Shane Smith because they worked in my best interests. The firm was very professional and courteous. I am very pleased with the overall quality of service.
- Posted on 08/24/2015FedEx Truck Collides with Police Cruiser, Closes I-85
- Posted on 07/23/2015Speeding Tractor Trailer Causes Fatal Georgia Crash
- Posted on 07/22/2015Driverless Big Rig Crosses 10 Lanes of Traffic, Crashes