Over five million motor vehicle accidents occurred each year in 2009, 2010, and 2011 according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). NHTSA compiles this data each year to analyze whether car accidents have increased or decreased, the factors that may have caused the accidents, and possible steps that may be taken to reduce the number of accidents in the future. A separate federal agency, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), also compiles accident data however focuses solely on accident involving large commercial trucks and buses. This data is especially important because accident involving commercial vehicles may be particularly dangerous and should try to be prevented at all costs. The FMCSA data from the past three years, however, shows that a large percentage of the five million motor vehicle accidents each year did, in fact, involve large commercial trucks or buses and caused property damage, injuries, and deaths. If you have been a victim of a truck accident, you should consult with a truck accident attorney in Coweta County to help you get compensated for your injuries.
The following are some of the FMCSA statistics for large truck and bus crashes in 2011:
- Total number of truck accidents reported: 273,000
- Total number of bus accidents reported: 56,000
- Total number of people injured in truck accidents: 88,000
- Total number of people injured in bus accidents: 24,000
- Total number of people killed in truck accidents: 3,757
- Total number of people killed in bus accidents: 283
- Truck accidents that caused property damage: 210,000
- Bus accidents that caused property damage: 43,000
As you can see, large truck and bus accidents effect many lives and cost hundreds of millions of dollars each year in damage repair, medical treatment, and wrongful death settlements. If you have been injured in a truck or bus accident, a truck accident lawyer at the Law Offices of Shane Smith can help you receive the settlement you deserve. Call our office today at (770) 487-8999.