The Brain & Spinal Injury Trust Fund Commission Helps Victims of Traumatic Brain Injuries
Unfortunately, some accidents in Georgia can be quite severe. These severe accidents that don’t kill someone – can produce life-changing injuries including traumatic brain injuries. Victims with traumatic brain injuries can have their life changed, and in some cases, permanently.
While the at-fault parties may not care that they have caused your loved one’s traumatic brain injury, there is help for your loved one. There is the Brain and Spinal Injury Trust Fund Commission. This Commission gives victims of traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries for their after accident and rehabilitation treatment. The Commission keeps track of the number, types and severity of both injuries and helps the State Legislature work to keep improving the resources available for victims.
How Do I Know If My Family Member is Eligible?
While each case will be evaluated on an individual basis, there are some general qualifications that must be met before the individual evaluation takes place:
- The injured person must be a legal resident of Georgia for a minimum of 12 months. If the victim has been living in the state for less than one year and plans on remaining in the state, the Commission must speak with a representative for the individual.
- The traumatic brain injury must be verified in writing by a medical professional. This includes a doctor, a hospital or related medical professional or from an insurance company. The type of the traumatic brain injury and the cause of it must be substantiated on the letter. Traumatic brain injuries that qualify for assistance from this Commission only include:
- Accidental Falls
- Accidently struck by or against a person or object
- Self-Inflicted Injury
- Sports or a recreation injury
- Motor vehicle accident
- All other monies have been exhausted. This includes using the following, but not limited to:
- Disability (Short & Long Term)
According to their website, 3 out of 4 applicants receive a grant from the Commission and over 70,000 state residents who suffer a spinal injury and/or a traumatic brain injury receive are helped from the Commission every single year. Those interested in learn more about this organization can call 1-888-233-5760.
If your family member has suffered a traumatic brain injury from a personal injury incident, you may have a personal injury claim against the at fault parties. Speaking with a Dacula brain injury lawyer will be able to let you know what your legal rights are and if you have a case. Call the Law Offices of Shane Smith at (770) 487-8999 today!