Working long hours at a monotonous job for several consecutive days will make anyone tired. Truck drivers constantly do this and, as they are becoming fatigued, they are also behind the wheel of a vehicle that may weigh up to 80,000 pounds. If a truck driver falls asleep behind the wheel of a semi-truck, the resulting accident and injuries can be devastating. Despite the risks, thousands of truck drivers choose to engage in drowsy driving every day on the roads and highways of the United States. In fact, fatigued driving causes approximately 20 percent of all truck accidents. If you are injured in an accident because a truck driver decided to drive while fatigued, you deserve to hold that driver accountable for his actions and be compensated for your injuries. An experienced Fayette County truck accident attorney can help you recover.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has conducted extensive research and compiled countless statistics regarding the incidence and common occurrence of fatigued driving among truck drivers. Some of these statistics include:
- Three-fourths of commercial truck drivers report committing at least one driving error due to drowsy driving.
- Approximately 100,000 large commercial truck accidents occur every year as a result of drowsy driving.
- Fatigued truck drivers cause 71,000 injuries and 1,550 deaths.
- The total cost of drowsy driving accidents is around $12.5 billion.
- A person’s mental state after being awake for 18 hours is similar to having a blood alcohol content of .08%, which is the threshold for legal intoxication.
- Commercial drivers who stay awake and drive during nighttime hours are at a higher risk for causing truck accidents due to falling asleep behind the wheel.
- Commercial drivers often suffer from sleep disorders, which can affect their awareness and focus on the road.
These are only a few of the alarming statistics reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration regarding the risks and frequency of fatigued driving among truck drivers. If you have been in an accident because of a fatigued truck driver, an experienced trucking lawyer can help you hold that driver liable for his negligent actions. Call our office today at (770) 487-8999.