During the overnight hours of Friday, September 20, 2013, there were seven tragic metro Atlanta crashes. According to authorities, eight people died in these seven separate wrecks, and police say four of the motorists who were killed were motorcyclists.
- The first Friday night fatal accident occurred in Marietta on Cobb Parkway at about 10:20 p.m. A motorcycle operator was traveling southbound on a 2002 Kawasaki ZK9 when he lost control of his bike and crashed. The 46-year-old man was taken to Wellstar Kennestone Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
- About the same time, an SUV overturned in Douglasville on I-20 at the exit to Ga. 92. Police say it appears that the driver missed the exit and lost control of the vehicle. Sadly, a 7-year-old boy was killed and several other children riding in the SUV were taken to an area hospital in critical condition.
- About an hour after these wrecks, three motorcycles and two cars collided on southbound I-285. According to police, a Honda Accord had stopped in the first southbound lane due to transmission trouble and a Nissan Maxima was stopped behind it with flashers. Three approaching motorcycles ended up crashing as a result, and two bikers were killed.
- Just after midnight, a bicyclist was struck and killed on eastbound Ga. 6 near Wayside Lane. Police indicated that the unidentified man was rear-ended by a 2006 Pontiac G6.
- About an hour after that, a Roswell motorcycle crash occurred on Ga. 400 northbound. Sadly, a female passenger was ejected, hit by a car, and killed in the wreck. However, the car involved fled the scene, and the motorcyclist was charged with a DUI.
- About 3 a.m., a single-vehicle crash in Coweta County took place that involved an overturned SUV and four teenagers. One of the teens was killed and three others were injured.
- Several hours later at about 8:30 a.m., a driver of an SUV lost control while changing lanes on I-285 northbound near Martin Luther King Jr. Drive. As a result, the SUV overturned and the driver died in this Atlanta crash.
The Atlanta accident attorneys at the Law Offices of Shane Smith are saddened to hear of these Georgia fatalities and extend our deepest condolences to the family and friends of all those who lost their loved ones in these crashes.