One of the most devastating injuries an accident survivor can sustain is a traumatic brain injury (TBI). These injuries can affect a person’s ability to function for the rest of his life. When assessing the damage caused by the injury and projecting the victim’s future needs and costs, a TBI survivor needs an attorney who has experience with this kind of serious injury. The personal injury attorneys at the Cincinnati Law Office of Shane Smith have the knowledge and experience to get what you or your family member needs from the person who caused your accident when you have suffered a devastating brain injury.
Many Kinds of Accidents Can Cause Brain Damage
Vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of new brain injury cases each year, but any kind of accident involving a blow to the head can cause a TBI. Our attorneys represent brain injury victims who were injured in any of the following:
- Auto accidents. The force of impact in a car collision—even if your head does not hit a solid object—can rattle the brain in the skull and cause permanent sensory, cognitive, and motor damage.
- Truck accidents. Due to the massive size difference between a semi-truck and a passenger vehicle, the occupants of the smaller vehicle often suffer catastrophic injuries—including TBI—when their vehicle collides with a truck. Brain injuries suffered in a semi-truck collision can cause devastating and permanent damage.
- Pedestrian accidents. Pedestrians have no personal protection when they are hit by a car. Head injuries are common when a pedestrian is knocked to the ground or collides with the hood or windshield of a car.
- Crashes caused by DUI. Victims of drunk drivers may suffer more serious injuries than victims of other crashes because DUI crashes often involve high speeds and extreme recklessness. Broken windshields and flying debris can penetrate the skull and cause an open head wound.
- Premises liability. Slipping on a wet floor, tripping on a broken stair, falling through a broken railing, or being assaulted in a dark parking lot can all lead to a traumatic brain injury and a lawsuit for premises liability. When a property owner’s negligence leads to an accident that causes a brain injury, our attorneys will represent you in seeking damages.
No matter what kind of accident caused your traumatic brain injury, our attorneys will fight for the compensation you need and deserve from the party whose negligence caused the accident.
Damage Caused by Traumatic Brain Injury
A TBI victim’s prognosis depends on the severity of the brain injury. A person with TBI can experience symptoms temporarily, or could suffer lasting impairments and disabilities. When the damage is temporary, the victim may need hospitalization, surgery, and physical therapy to recover. When the effects are permanent, the victim may need all of these services, plus a lifetime of rehabilitation and personal assistance. The effects of a brain injury could include the following:
- Memory loss
- Difficulty communicating
- Changes in personality
- Loss of motor skills
- Mood swings
- Cognitive deficits
- Increased risk of stroke or seizure
- Partial paralysis
When these changes are permanent, the victim will need a lifetime of medical treatment and daily assistance. The cost of such care can be devastating to a family. That is why you should not try to negotiate with the insurance company for the negligent party on your own.
How Our Cincinnati Law Firm Can Help
Not every personal injury firm in Ohio is prepared to handle your brain injury case—although they probably won’t turn you away. The Law Offices of Shane Smith understand the true cost of a serious TBI and will make sure you get what you need for a lifetime of care. We work hard for all of our clients, especially the ones who have been permanently affected by an accident. Call us today for a free consultation to discuss your personal injury claim involving a brain injury. We are here for you!