Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: (888) 927-6955
Phone: (770) 487-8999
Law Offices of Shane Smith

Contact Us

Get help now! Please fill out the quick contact form below for a fast and free case consultation. We will contact you within 24 hours!

Georgia Issues School Carbon Monoxide Detector Guidelines, Stops Short of Requiring Them


Blog Category:
11/29/2014
Comments (0)

Georgia law requires commercial and private property owners to maintain safe properties for people who are legally on the premises. Most properties are subject to safety codes or regulations requiring the property owner or manager to prevent negligent exposure to harmful or injurious situations. Premises liability claims may hold these property owners or managers liable when someone is injured due to hazardous, unsafe or dangerous conditions.

If you have suffered a serious injury on someone else's property, a premises liability attorney at the Law Offices of Shane Smith can review your accident and injuries to determine if you have a reasonable case against the property owner involved.

Georgia law requires that properties be safe for any "invitee" who is approaching, exiting or present.

The Georgia legislature introduced and considered a bill that would require all schools to be equipped with carbon monoxide detectors. This measure was prompted by an Atlanta school incident where 50 people were hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning. In that incident, a boiler valve was inadvertently left closed after routine service. Classrooms located near the boiler were exposed to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless gas.

Gov. Nathan Deal opposed the measure, claiming that many school districts voluntarily installed carbon monoxide detectors following the Atlanta incident. Instead, he created a task force that released guidelines for schools regarding potential carbon monoxide incidents. The guidelines stopped short of requiring all schools to be equipped with the detectors.

If children are sickened by carbon monoxide while at school there may be a cause of action against the school of the state. The prior incident and the task force research revealed that carbon monoxide poisoning is potentially a problem and schools should be safe for the children and adults who are inside. Victims should call a Clayton County premises liability attorney at the Law Offices of Shane Smith to schedule a free legal consultation.



Category: Premises Liability


There are no comments.

Post a comment

Post a Comment to "Georgia Issues School Carbon Monoxide Detector Guidelines"

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."

Name:*

Email:* (will not be published)

Message:*

Notify me of follow-up comments via email.