Passenger in a Car Accident: Attorney in Fulton County Recommends this Insurance Coverage (Part A)

You might be aware of the high number of car accidents that occur on Georgia roads every year, but did you know how many of those wrecks involve passengers? According to the Georgia Department of Transportation’s “Crash Analysis, Statistics & Information Notebook 2008,” more than 1.7 million passengers were involved in accidents from 2000 to 2006. More than 4.3 million accidents that happened in those years, which means nearly 40% of all wrecks involved a passenger. Those are sobering statistics. 

So what happens when you’re involved in an accident as a passenger? Whose insurance coverage kicks in to cover the damages? How are medical bills paid for and by whom? According to Shane Smith, car accident attorney in Fulton County, a combination of your insurance, your driver’s insurance and the driver of the other car’s insurance may be able to contribute to your damages. It all depends on what type of insurance coverage each party has and the extent of the damages done. 

Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage 

If you personally have uninsured motorist coverage (UM) or underinsured motorist coverage (UIM), it will follow you from vehicle to vehicle regardless of whether you are the driver or passenger. If you are involved in a wreck with an uninsured or underinsured driver (meaning they do not have a maximum high enough to cover your damages), this will kick in to help. Even if the driver of your car is at fault, UM or UIM coverage can help you pay for your damages and injuries. 

Related Posts
  • What if I Am in an Accident With an Uninsured Motorist? Read More
  • How to Preserve Your Atlanta Commercial Vehicle Claim (Part A) Read More
  • Evidence in Insurance Claims: Keeping a Journal Read More