Many of us stroll through town or down the side of the road without a second thought. In our society and especially in many large cities, the way to efficiently get around town is to walk. Sadly, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Commission, pedestrians were one of the few groups to experience an increase in fatalities in the past few years. In 2011, 4,432 pedestrians were killed in the United States, which was a 5% increase from 2009. Though pedestrians have many ways to minimize their risk of serious injury while walking, sometimes it’s not enough because of the negligence of another. If you or a loved one has been injured as a pedestrian, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills. The best way to determine if you should file a Georgia personal injury claim is to schedule a free consultation with the experienced personal injury attorneys at Shane Smith Law as soon as possible.
What are Some Safety Tips for Pedestrians?
When you, as a pedestrian, are out among large motor vehicles, it is prudent to consider your own safety. Unfortunately, when cars and pedestrians mix, the outcome is far more likely to be extremely serious for the pedestrian than it is for the driver of the motor vehicle. Some good safety tips for pedestrians are:
- Be predictable by following the rules of the road and obeying signs and signals
- Walk on sidewalks when available
- If no sidewalk is available, walk facing traffic
- Keep alert and don’t be distracted by electronic devices
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections
- If a crosswalk or intersection is unavailable, cross in a well-lit area with a good view of traffic
- Never assume a driver sees you
- Be visible at all times
- Watch for cars entering and exiting driveways and parking lots
- Avoid impairment from alcohol and drugs
Contact a Peachtree City Personal Injury Attorney for a Free Consultation
If you or your loved one sustained a serious injury as a pedestrian, you may be entitled to substantial compensation. To schedule a free consultation with one of our personal injury attorneys, please call our office today at (980) 246-2656.