German scientists at the Berlin Institute of Technology are testing technology that will allow drivers to brake through thought control. Currently drivers involved in the testing sit in front of a large screen and drive virtual racing cars. Electrodes attached to the scalp measure each driver's brain patterns. They are able to detect the intent to brake in emergency situations. The electrodes then signal the car to stop.
The test drivers were able to stop 130 milliseconds faster using thought control than with the brake pedal. This may not seem like much of a difference, but when the cars were moving at 62 miles per hour, the stopping distance decreased by the length of a small car. This is enough space to prevent a potentially fatal rear-end accident.
The researchers are working on making the system faster and more efficient and weeding out false alarms. The technology will work together with other crash-prevention systems. Mind-control cars are far from market-ready, but one day these vehicles may help prevent Atlanta car crashes.
What do you think? Could an electrode cap become stylish driving apparel? Would you trust a vehicle to save your life?
Comment on this article to let our Atlanta car accident attorneys know your thoughts.
Search Our Site
Before you sign any documents, we urge you to contact our legal team using this short form. We will be in touch within 24 hours to discuss your case.
- Posted on 07/22/2021 DUI Driver Sentenced in Rolls Royce Fatality
- Posted on 06/28/2021 Georgia Car Accident Statistics | In Pain? Call Shane!
- Posted on 07/31/2015 Advice from a Clayton County Auto Accident Attorney—Part V
- I am very pleased with the help Shane Smith's provided me. During my treatment, the doctor I was recommended to was really amazing. I highly recommend this firm to anyone! They had everything prepared and worked fast. This is such a great, fast working firm. -Britney
- You were very helpful in finding doctors for my daughter and I quickly after our accident. I appreciate you for you help and promptness. You handled my case so well from treatment to settlement. -Wendy
- My case manager answered all of my questions during my treatment phase. All of my calls were returned in a timely manner. I felt I was contacted frequently and made aware of new developments in my case. My case manager treated me very kindly as if I was her own family. I feel great about choosing the Shane Smith Law Firm and thank you greatly.