Each year, at least 1.7 million traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) occur in the United States, and about three-quarters of these are concussions or other forms of mild TBIs. It is a serious public health problem that costs our society a significant amount of money in terms of medical care costs and lost productivity. When a TBI is the result of someone else’s carelessness, you may be entitled to bring legal action against the person or party responsible for the injury. TBIs can have serious long-term side effects, and it is important to make sure that you preserve your legal rights by consulting with an experienced Coweta County personal injury attorney. The attorneys of Shane Smith Law are dedicated to helping people who have sustained a TBI recover from those responsible for their injuries.
While TBIs are relatively common, the good news is that there are specific and concrete steps that you can take to minimize your risk of sustaining a TBI. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, taking the following precautions will help you avoid you or your loved one sustaining a traumatic brain injury.
- Securing your child in vehicles using the appropriate child safety seat, booster seat, or seat belt as determined by your child’s height, weight, and age
- Wearing a seat belt each time you drive or ride in a vehicle
- Never driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Wearing a helmet or ensuring your children wear a helmet when
- riding a bike, motorcycle, snowmobile, scooter, or ATV
- Playing contact sports
- Rollerblading or riding a skateboard
- Batting or running bases in baseball or related games
- Making living areas safer for seniors by
- Removing tripping hazards
- Using mats in bathtubs and showers
- Having handrails in stairways
- Encouraging exercise that improves strength and balance
- Installing window guards
- Using safety gates
- Making living areas safer for children by
- Making sure that any play areas are child-safe, including outdoor playgrounds
Contact a Coweta County TBI Attorney for a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident that resulted in a TBI, you may be entitled to significant compensation. In order to determine whether you have a claim, you should have your case reviewed by an experienced Coweta County TBI attorney. To schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced personal injury attorneys, call Shane Smith Law today at (980) 246-2656.