Bicyclists in the Atlanta metro area have many challenges to overcome while riding a bicycle in and around traffic. Because many drivers do not watch out for cyclists, fail to yield to them, and open their car doors directly into their path, unnecessary car and bicycle accidents in Georgia occur. Because of this, our Peachtree City accident attorneys would like to remind motorists of important tips when sharing the road with cyclists.
Contrary to what you may believe, bicyclists are not on the road to annoy you. Many people ride bikes for physical fitness, to save money on transportation costs, to minimize their commute time in traffic, and to save the environment. These are all wonderful benefits of riding a bicycle; however, these benefits come with disadvantages and dangers.
Cyclists often suffer from catastrophic injuries in the event of a car or bicycle accident. Some of the injuries bicyclists suffer from include:
- Broken collarbones
- Knee injuries (e.g., ACL and MCL tear)
- Femur fractures
- Tibia fractures
- Herniated disc injuries
- Brain injuries
Because the law considers bicyclists to be vehicles with the same rights as motor vehicles, motorists need to be more careful and mindful of cyclists on the road. Here are four tips to minimize a Georgia car and bicycle crash:
- Look out for bicycles and reduce your speed when approaching a bicyclist.
- Leave plenty of room when passing a cyclist. If there is oncoming traffic, the lane is too narrow, or there isn’t enough visibility to pass a cyclist safely, wait. It is better to be patient to avoid an accident and keep a cyclist safe.
- Always look for approaching cyclists before opening your car door. If you don’t, you can cause them to swerve into traffic and get hit or run into your car door and crash.
- Obey the road rules. Stop at red lights and stop signs and yield to cyclists.
While we know that these tips will not prevent every car and bicycle accident in Peachtree City or throughout Georgia, following these tips can help reduce the number of crashes involving bicycles.
If you have been injured by the negligence of another driver (either a car or bicycle operator) on the road, Shane Smith Law is here to help you make the best financial recovery possible. Call a skilled Peachtree City personal injury law firm today at (980) 246-2656.