It is well-established and well-documented that driver fatigue is a leading cause of trucking accidents. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has published numerous statistics showing the dangers of fatigued driving and, as a result, has established numerous regulations regarding hours of service in an attempt to prevent accidents caused by fatigued truck drivers. However, no matter how many regulations are passed, fatigued driving persists as a danger on America’s roads and highways. If you are injured in an accident because of a fatigued truck driver, that driver should be held liable for your injuries. Make sure to call an experienced trucking attorney in Fayette County as soon as possible to help you recover for your injuries.
The FMCSA and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) both report several facts regarding the danger of fatigued driving. These include:
- Drowsy driving causes an estimated 100,000 reported accidents per year, resulting in over 1,550 deaths, 71,000 injuries, and approximately $12.5 billion in financial losses.
- Being awake for 18 hours has a similar effect on a driver’s concentration, instincts, and reaction times as a blood alcohol level of .08%, which is legally intoxicated for all drivers in the United States.
- 3 out of 4 commercial truck drivers reported making some type of driving error (whether it caused an accident or not) due to fatigued driving.
- Truck drivers are more likely to have sleep disorders than almost any other profession, which keeps them awake at night. Driving long distances at night puts drivers at a much higher risk of falling asleep behind the wheel (regardless of sleep disorders) than driving long distances during the day.
- Many stimulants used by truck drivers to stay awake do not actually keep a truck driver focused with a sharp mind and quick reactions.
All of these facts indicate that fatigued driving is a serious issue and causes a large amount of truck accidents every year. There is no excuse for fatigued driving, and a truck accident lawyer can help you recover if you have been in an accident. Call Shane Smith Law at (980) 246-2656.